WHO WE ARE: The Minnesota Center for Environmental Advocacy has been the leading legal and scientific voice for Minnesota’s environment since 1974. A growing nonprofit with offices in Saint Paul and Duluth, MCEA supports its employees through a commitment to a living wage, a good benefits package, and regular opportunities for professional growth and development. We value diversity, equity, an inclusive culture, and respect in the workplace. The Nonprofit Times featured MCEA among the Best Nonprofits to Work For in 2021 and 2022, as well as the Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal Best Places to Work in 2022.
POSITION SUMMARY: We seek an energetic and experienced employee to optimize our internal operations. The Director of Operations will work with the Office Manager, financial consultants, and leadership team to manage the day-to-day operations of MCEA and ensure that staff have what they need to meet our budget goals and accomplish our strategic plan and program goals. The successful candidate will develop, refine, and implement systems to ensure that MCEA, as it continues to grow, meets the goals reflected in our budget, strategic plan, program objectives, and project workplans. MCEA values bold leadership and seeks to empower its leaders with creative license and control in a collaborative and supportive culture. This is a new position, and the successful candidate will have the opportunity to shape it. This is a great opportunity to join a nimble team that is committed to working and laughing hard together, and to have a big impact on the state’s future.
The ideal candidate would be deeply committed to our mission, highly organized, experience in and capable of leading design and implementation of organization-wide strategies in a collaborative fashion, a good listener capable of giving and receiving honest feedback, and able to contribute positively to the creation of a diverse, equitable, inclusive team-oriented work environment that celebrates differences.
HOW WILL WE SUPPORT YOU? MCEA’s goal for this position is to hire an organized, detail-oriented, “behind-the-scenes” manager who can create efficiencies at all levels of our organization. We will support the successful candidate through generous pay and benefits, leadership coaching, meaningful support from our leadership team at MCEA, and the resources of a growing nonprofit.
MAJOR AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
Financial Management – Work with CEO, Office Manager, and our financial consultant on internal systems that meet organizational goals and financial requirements.
- Assist the financial consultant and CEO in setting the budget and financial priorities for the year
- Work with the financial consultant, CEO, and Office Manager to ensure a successful financial audit
- Work with the Controller to manage the organization’s finances and fiscal health, and act as a liaison between the Controller and the CEO and leadership team.
- Manage effective internal controls and processes for accounts receivable, accounts payable, and donation tracking in our donor database
- Oversee contracts and invoicing with paying clients, hired experts and consultants, vendors, landlords and insurers.
Human Resources and Professional Development – Work with organization leadership to provide a top-notch, supportive workplace.
- Conduct an annual review of benefits to determine that our package is competitive and cost-effective for the organization.
- Lead the process of ensuring yearly performance reviews and salary reviews for all staff and updating our data on benchmarking salaries.
- Manage professional development budget; promote continuing education and professional development opportunities; organize staff trainings, retreats, and meetings as appropriate to build staff effectiveness and foster staff unity.
- Oversee hiring processes, including promotion of open positions, review of applications, interviews and selection, and onboarding of new employees.
Fulfillment of Organizational Goals – Support Program Directors and Leadership to operationalize our strategic and programmatic goals.
- Assist the leadership team in translating our strategic planning goals into a work plan, and operationalizing it in other ways, including how we choose and evaluate project
- Assist Program Directors in devising work plans and holding regular meetings with program teams to assess goals and projects.
- Manage agenda and logistics for all-team meetings and retreats for team building, strategic planning, and other purposes.
Technology and Logistical Support – Work with Office Manager and others to ensure an excellent work environment with helpful, up-to-date technology.
- Ensuring that our technology meets the needs of the staff, including in-office technology for remote and hybrid meetings;
- Assist leadership with planning for effective use of the office after over two years of remote work;
- Work with the Office Manager to manage relationships with outside vendors, including IT, database, and document management vendors.
- Supervise the Office Manager and Executive Coordinator
- May be called upon to supervise additional staff
- At least seven years of relevant experience in operations, either in nonprofits, government, or the private sector
- Financial and/or accounting knowledge and experience
- Experience with human resources
- Demonstrated ability to translate organizational goals into workplans and ensure that employees are working towards stated goals
SALARY & BENEFITS: MCEA strives to create a mission-focused work environment that is equitable and inclusive. MCEA highly values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. We are proud to support our employees through a range of strategies, including generous benefits for employees and dependents, paid family leave, and support from an executive coach. The annual salary range for this position is $95,000-$105,000.
REPORTS TO: Chief Executive Officer.
TO APPLY: Please send your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 23, 2022 for priority consideration. Please indicate in your e-mail where you located this job posting. You must submit all materials directly to this email address – no applications via third party website (such as Indeed) will be accepted.