THE ORGANIZATION: The Minnesota Center for Environmental Advocacy has been the leading legal and scientific voice for Minnesota's environment since 1974. We work in the courts, regulatory agencies and at the legislature to defend clean water and to create a livable climate for our children. MCEA is a rapidly growing nonprofit that supports its employees through a commitment to providing competitive salaries, good benefits, and regular opportunities for professional growth and development. MCEA is proud to have been featured on the 2021 and 2022 Best Nonprofits to Work For lists produced by the Nonprofit Times, as well as the Minneapolis/St. Paul Business Journal’s Best Places to Work list in 2022. We value diversity, equity and an inclusive and respectful workplace.
POSITION SUMMARY: This position will report to our Communications Director and work closely with our Digital Manager to execute on the various functions of this position, which plays a key role in our communications, public engagement and development work. Our legal and legislative work can't succeed without the engagement and financial support from a broad cross-section of Minnesotans. We seek a new team member hungry to contribute to the success of the most effective environmental organization in the state. This position will work with a team of experienced communications and development staff who are committed to work and laugh hard together. This is a great opportunity for the right candidate to learn from strong leaders, support important projects, and to have a meaningful impact.
The Communications and Online Giving Associate is responsible for providing support for Minnesota Center for Environmental Advocacy in two major areas:
- Communications (60 %): The majority of this position’s responsibilities support MCEA's communication's efforts. Core functions of the workload include managing MCEA's social media channels (Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram), including daily generation of posts; updating, managing and drafting content for MCEA’s website; writing emails and newsletter content for supporters and the general public, and creating basic graphics and other digital content, including photography and occasionally video and audio recordings. There is also potential for media relations and more targeting writing.
- Development and Online Giving (40%): The remainder of the position will support MCEA’s development and online giving efforts, including development email and social media content generation, event support, development planning, and assisting with development team on other activities as needed.
- Experience in social media and marketing, ideally with a development and fundraising focus
- Strong writing, editing and proofreading skills.
- Able and willing to take ownership of responsibilities and manage multiple priorities simultaneously.
- Experience in social media and marketing campaigns, ideally with a development and fundraising focus.
- Experience creating digital content for the web or social media (photography, audio, video)
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite or similar design software such as Canva.
- Experience in managing web content using a CMS such as Drupal, WordPress, Wix or Squarespace
- Knowledge of relational/development databases ideally EveryAction/VAN or other similar databases (Donor Pro, Raiser’s Edge, Donor Perfect, Salesforce, Neon, FileMaker, Etapestry, Gift Maker Pro or equivalent)
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office products.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Previous experience working in a non-profit, legal or advocacy setting
SALARY & BENEFITS: The starting salary for this position is between $40,000 and $45,000 depending on qualifications and experience. MCEA highly values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer. We are proud to support our employees through a range of strategies, including a generous benefits package that provides comprehensive coverage of health care, dental and vision, paid family leave, a 401K employer match, generous paid time-off, and optional support from an executive coach.
LOCATION: This position is located at MCEA’s St. Paul, Minnesota office. Due to the COVID pandemic, MCEA employees are currently working in a hybrid format, with occasional in-person meetings.
HOW TO APPLY: Please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com. The cover letter should outline how your background meets our preferred experience and will serve as your writing sample. Our goal is to conduct interviews for the position in mid to late November, with the candidate starting in late 2022 or early 2023. The deadline for applications is November 18, 2022. You must submit all of the required materials directly to the email address, no applications via third party websites (such as Indeed.com) will be considered.
The Minnesota Center for Environmental Advocacy is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, LGBTQ individuals, and women.