POSITION TITLE: John W. Pegg Legal Fellow
ACCOUNTABLE TO: Evan Mulholland, Supervising Attorney
JOB STATUS: Full-Time, One-Year Paid Position (Sept. 2022 – Sept. 2023)
WHO WE ARE: The Minnesota Center for Environmental Advocacy has been the leading legal
and scientific voice for Minnesota’s environment since 1974. A growing non-profit with offices
in Saint Paul and Duluth, MCEA supports its employees through a commitment to a living wage,
a good benefits package, and regular opportunities for professional growth and development. We
value diversity, equity, an inclusive culture, and respect in the workplace. MCEA was featured
on the 2021 Best Nonprofits to Work For list by the Nonprofit Times.
POSITION SUMMARY: The John W. Pegg Legal Fellow is a one-year paid position designed
to assist new graduates and/or attorneys in the early stages of their careers to develop skills and
experience as environmental advocates. The Fellow works closely with MCEA’s staff attorneys
on advocacy projects, including litigation, administrative and legislative advocacy,
communications, and public outreach. Depending on experience and expertise, the Fellow may
have opportunities to exercise independent responsibility for some projects, with close
supervision from other MCEA staff. Candidates from underrepresented communities are highly
encouraged to apply.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND PERFORMANCE CRITERIA:
1. Works closely with MCEA attorneys on litigation, including investigation of potential
cases, legal research, assisting with discovery and case management, assisting with memo
and brief writing, and other duties as assigned by supervising staff.
2. Participates in all aspects of MCEA’s work with administrative agencies, including
drafting comments on agency permits and environmental review, engaging in
rulemakings, and participating in contested case proceedings, and other administrative
3. Assists with legislative advocacy, including conducting legal research, summarizing and
analyzing policy proposals and bill language, writing factsheets, and other
4. Interacts with MCEA clients, coalition partners, experts, board and committee members,
and donors, and is an effective ambassador of MCEA in the community.
5. Demonstrates awareness of and sensitivity to individuals from diverse cultures,
backgrounds, and orientations.
6. Exhibits exceptional professional conduct, meeting internal and external deadlines, using
good time management and organizational skills, and meeting all professional obligations
and office requirements.
7. Exercises sound judgment with good communication skills and the ability to balance
independent action with taking direction from supervising staff.
1. J.D. degree and/or license to practice law.
2. Commitment to or sincere interest in environmental advocacy, environmental justice, and
public interest law.
3. Interest in contributing to a work environment that celebrates differences and strives to
achieve inclusion, equity, and respect for all staff.
4. Excellent writing and research skills, with the ability to provide clear, logical, and
focused legal analysis, and attention to detail.
5. Strong work ethic and initiative.
6. Ability to communicate effectively and openly with co-workers to create a healthy work
MCEA strives to create a mission-focused work environment that is equitable and inclusive. The
salary for this position will be $70,515 plus excellent benefits. MCEA highly values diversity
and is an equal opportunity employer.
Please send cover letter explaining qualifications and interest, résumé, law school transcript,
writing sample and references to firstname.lastname@example.org. You must submit materials directly to
this email address – no applications via third party website (such as Indeed) will be
Candidates are encouraged to apply by February 3, 2022. Position will remain open until filled.
Established in 1974, MCEA uses law, science, and research to protect Minnesota’s environment,
its natural resources, and the health of its people.
MCEA envisions clean water, clean air, healthy ecosystems, a sustainable economy, and
improved public health for all Minnesotans. We are committed to growing our capacity and
impact to achieve measurable progress toward this vision.
We are honored to announce, through the generous contribution of John Clark Pegg, the dedication of MCEA's Legal Fellowship to his father John W. Pegg. Click here to learn more.